When I went to the clinic on Sunday, I met a technician by the name if Muhammad who was very nice. He offered on Sunday to get my paperwork complete by today...it was originally going to be next Sunday if her did not help. Anyway, I was out riding with the supervisor today and touring the paramedic stations when Muhammad called and said my paperwork was ready. I had to rush to get there, as the clinic closes at 2 PM. Anyway, Yasir, my driver for the day, drove very fast, with a cell phone in each hand while changing the radio station and got me to the clinic at 2:18 PM. Muhammad was awesome and waited for me. This is really good, because if I had gotten the paperwork tomorrow, I would have to wait until Saturday to go to the health ministry, which puts me 3 days further from when I can begin work, and most importantly, begin getting paid!
Here in Saudi any immigrant worker has to have an Iqama to work and open a bank account, rent a car, get a license, really anything... To get my Iqama I need to have clearance from the health ministry, to get clearance from the health ministry I have to have my health report, etc. etc. etc.
I am fixing to get picked up by Kamal and we are going to see how much BMW motorcycles are here in Saudi. I am not crazy enough to buy one yet, but who knows, as I get more comfortable with the traffic, I may decie to purchase one for cheap independent transportation. Gas here is 60 hallalah per liter, which means it is around 2 riyal 40 hallalah per gallon, which equates to about $0.75 a gallon. That is amazing considering when I left home, the fuel was almost $2.60 a gallon.
They have Louis Vioutton stores and Tiffany & Co. here, everything is about 50-75% what it cost at home...I still have not been to the Breitling store to see how much my watch will cost. I am hoping to go to Bada market tonight and look around...see how crazy it really is.
Talk to everyone soon!
Cheers!!!
I vote for the BMW F800GS and the Breitling Emergency in blue (e7632110/c549-ti2)...after the first year of work and paying off your Rubicon. UD
ReplyDeleteAhh yes, the F800 GS is a nice bike, small and nimble. If I purchase here, that is likely what I will get. If I purchase after I go home, I will go all out and get the R1200 GS. I have never had much interest in BMW Bikes unless they are the R series engine, but the F series are supposed to be ok.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the Emergency is concerned, I have had my eye on that watch for a few years now. I do not know if they monitor 121.5 here, but it could never hurt, especially if the US military is involved in the search.
The Rubicon will be paid off too, no worries! I also think I will put a little money into a few upgrades on that when I arrive back home...