Sunday, January 10, 2010

Packed up, ready to roll! 3 more days...

Alright, I am packed up. I have one large rolling duffel, one carry on backpack, and one average size "murse".

Now the Saudi Red Crescent did not give me a list of items to bring, so I pretty much had to put together what I thought I would need, and then hope the rest of the items will not be hard to procure once I arrive. I have access to stores and can get pretty much whatever I need, but it would be nice to arrive there and not have to immediately head to Saudi "Wal-Mart" to get small items that I forgot.

Now the worst part about forgetting something is that you never know you have forgotten it until you need it. Once you need it, you don't exactly have the time to just jump in a rickshaw hippity hop to the store.

So here is a list of what I have packed:

15 undershirts
15 pairs of underwear
15 pairs of socks
4 polo shirts
1 pair blue jeans
2 pairs cargo pants
1 pair cargo pants with zip off legs
2 pairs of boots (one desert tan, one black)
1 pair tennis shoes
1 pair slippers
1 pair flip flops
1 bathing suit
2 belts (tan and black)
6 months of contact lenses
shaving supplies
shower gel
my computer
iPhone
digital camera
two international power adapters
my B&N Nook
all of my necessary chargers and adapters
$1500.00 ($1,000 SAR and $500.00 USD)
etc. etc. etc.

That is 90% of what I have packed. I am sure I missed a few things, but that is the important stuff.

I got my apartment packed up a few days ago, and I am going tomorrow with my friend's pick up truck and we are putting the stuff in storage. Tuesday I will get the car detailed and put it in the storage unit also.

My last day at work was yesterday and I turned in all of my equipment and said my goodbyes. They bought me a cake and then we ran our butts off for the rest of the shift.

All of my loose ends are getting tied up and I am just about ready for lift off.

Interesting Middle Eastern cultural fact for this post is:
- In the Middle East it is considered rude to point the sole of your foot towards anyone or to touch anyone with your foot or shoe. When crossing your legs you nee to take caution and make sure that you are not unintentionally pointing the sole of your foot in the direction of another person.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment