So to start off, let me tell you about work. I am currently on the ground in a paramedic chase car. I am riding as a second rider with a German paramedic, and I am observing. We have a Saudi driver named Omar. He finished his paramedic program in Canada about 9 months ago, but he has ben with the SRCA for almost 10 years. He is really smart and knows good English...so far I am lucky! We respond to any possible ALS call and we will transport and treat the patient if necessary, and if not we will let the ambulance crew take the patient and provide BLS care.
We are running about 80% car accidents, 10% diabetic calls, and 10% "surprise". It is a great experience so far. They take car accidents to an entirely new level over here. I have not been on a "simple" car accident yet, they are all fairly major. I am hoping that as time goes on, awareness about seat belt safety increases. It is unfortunate that so many people are severely injured because they do not wear their seat belts here.
I will be with Frank and Omar for another week or two, then I go to my own station. I am going to Al Oruba station, which is the downtown "city center" station. I will be responsible for Kingdom Tower, Faisaliah Tower, and most of the entertainment and shopping district. It is pretty busy area....
Also, I mentioned here that traffic here is very chaotic. It gets even more chaotic once an accident has already happened, as many people want to stop and assist or ask questions. Also it is very hard for the fire department to make the scene here and give us traffic control...so many times it is just us in our Toyota Camry (with a sticky gas pedal...haha, j/k) and the ambulance amongst all of the traffic. Pretty intense...but so far so good!
The station I am at is fairly new and nice inside. I will see about getting some pictures up for everyone. They have a ping pong table and everyone knows a little English, so it is somewhat easy to communicate. I am also in an Arabic class being hosted by the SRCA, and I have learned all of my numbers and a few key phrases. I am actually picking it up a little faster than I thought. I can read the exit numbers on the highway and get around...
I went to the party at the American Embassy and it was very fun! AJ and I showed up fashionably late and ended up sitting next to the social director for USERA, which is a very important contact to have if you want to get plugged in to parties at the American Embassy. We had a good long chat, he got my info, and now I get e mails from him. A few of the other expats who have been here around two years say that I have gotten more accomplished socially in about 30 days than they have their entire time here....so I feel pretty good. I got invited out later this week by a few Marines from the US Embassy security detail.
I went last week and got my license. This surprisingly was the least painful thing I have done here so far. Working in Saudia has taught me so many things about patience. I was in and out of the license office in about 45 minutes...I was extremely surprised at how easy it was...I met a few Saudi teenagers there also waiting to get their licenses...some things are the same all over the world. These two young guys ahd the same excited look I had on my face when I first went to get my license. It was good talking to them...
I am on the lookout for a car over here...so far a few leads, but nothing too promising. I will keep everyone posted.....However, for the time being I have rented a vehicle! The streets of Riyadh just got a little less safe...
I volunteered to help with some outreach education and do some public relations work here. I am scheduled to go to The American School, a private school, tomorrow to show an ambulance and talk to the kids. I will take some pics if I can.
Believe it or not, that is about all that has happened in the last 12 days. I hope all is well at home. I will try to write more regularly in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment