


I went to my first football match with Kamal and AJ yesterday. It was absolutely amazing. We went to King Fahd Stadium and got seats for 20 SAR. The local team here in Riyadh is Alhilal, and they were playing a team from Iran. How many people can say they have seen a football match between Saudi Arabia and Iran?
Anyone who knows me understands that I am a local fan all the way! When I was living in Dallas, I was all about the Cowboys and Mavericks and Rangers. Now that I am in Riyadh, I am an Alhilal football club fan 100%. By the time I was done in the stadium I had a jersey, a scarf, and a few other things. It looked like the Alhilal gift shop had puked on me...
Alhilal won the match 3-0 and it was really exciting. Since I have never been to a football match before, I was asking Kamal and AJ lots of questions, and pretty soon it was evident to all of the Saudis around us that I was new to the sport. Before I knew what happened everyone was helping and explaining to me, and telling me their favorite players, and telling me about how certain plays were being made, it was really great. Also, each time there was a goal we would all erupt into high fives, chest bumps, dancing and all sorts of celebrating. Sometimes it does not matter what country you are in, watching sports with the guys is really the same no matter where in the world you are (except there was no beer here, obviously!)
As the game was coming to an end, lots of people starting asking Kamal questions and pointing to AJ. When I asked Kamal what was going on, he explained that AJ looked very similar to one of the players for Alhilal named Vilhelmmson. Vilhelmmson is from Sweden, and very popular, as he made the first goal, and is an all around great player. I started joking with people that AJ was Vilhelmmson's brother. As we started walking out after the game, AJ was literally mobbed by 50-100 Saudis wanting pictures and autographs, and hugging and groping him. It was funny for a minute, and then downright out of control. I started peeling people off of AJ, which made matters worse because I think they assumed if he was important enough to have a "bodyguard" he was important enough to mob! Kamal started yelling in Arabic, Aj started running, I ran interference, and we managed to make it out of the stadium with everything we had come with! It was out of control...and unforgettable!
Kamal also hooked me up with one of his old Bishts. The bisht is a traditional robe that is worn over the Thobe on special occasions or when someone hold a prominent position in the Saudi community, such as prince, elder, etc. I will post some pics here in a day or two. My Saudi wardrobe is coming along nicely. I am almost certain I have enough clothes to be able to go out for any occasion!
Saad and Jimmy came over tonight for dinner. Jimmy cooked kabsa, we listened to music, smoked some hooka, and sat on the ground and ate with our hands. Very authentic, and believe it or not, it is starting to feel normal for me. I am really starting to feel "at home" in Riyadh, and I look forward to the rest of my year here. It is hard to believe that I have been here 2 months already! Before I know it I will be shaking hands and exchanging heartfelt goodbyes with close friends...but until then I have a lot more adventures left I am sure!
I hope everyone is good at home! St. Patty's day is right around the corner, drink some green beer for me!
Hey Man I am still stalking your blog. Great read, can't wait to get over there and watch a game with you guys. They are sending me my authorization letter for my work visa paper work "ASAP" then I have to turn in my paper work to the visa guy, who knows how long that will take. If you hear what meds are currently available on the ground units and if they are using 12 leads let me know. Ide like to brush up on things before I arrive. Keep on keeping on.
ReplyDelete