Ok, so I will just come right out and say it: I purchased a shark! It was a small 2.2 kg (5 lbs.) My roommate AJ and I were in the Carrefour market and happened to walk by this shark (photo below.) We asked how much, and literally the entire shark cost about $8.00. We got some rice, vegetables, and a little bit of seasoning, and voila, dinner.
We bring the shark home and we are pretty excited. We decide to cook it the next day, as we have plans to go out the night that we brought it home. We were very proud of the shark and told everyone....and then the naysayers began to come out of the woodwork. Everyone starts saying that there is no way that our shark could be delicious. There is no way that a 2.2 kg shark could be soft, it will be tough, and on and on and on.... So we began to have our doubts...
The next day comes, and it is go time. We head around the corner to the store to buy some lemon, a little bit of butter, some hot sauce, onions, etc. We prepped the beast and placed him on the pan. See the pictures below for the shark before, prepped, and final product.
Long story short, the shark turned out delicious! It could not have been better! The entire meal fed about 4 people and it cost maybe $15.00. We did pretty good...
Alright, next...AJ met a Saudi named Saad during his flight across the Atlantic. Saad is a 1st Lieutenant in the Saudi National Guard. The National Guard is loyal to the Royal Family and provides protection to all visiting foreign nationals and at all expat compounds. Saad is our age (25) and speaks very good English. He was actually flying back from America after training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, TX. Any guy from Texas is automatically a friend of mine! Anyway, Saad and his friend Falah took us out last night. We went to Faisaliah tower and hotel. We traveled to the observation deck and took some photos of Riyadh. It was very amazing.
When we got back into the elevator, there was a button that read, "The Top." Assuming that if we were not supposed to go there, it would not take us, we boldly pressed the button, and up we went! Next thing we know, the doors opened into the most elegant and high class lounge/cigar areas I have ever seen in my life. There was no security or chaperone at the door, so Saad and Fallah pushed me out and told me to walk around...they said if anyone asked to just tell them I am American and I am lost. We all 4 walked around for about 4 minutes, then figured our luck might be running short, and decided to leave. We found out that a reservation for "The Top" cost $50.00 a person, and then you pay for everything you eat and drink up there. Not bad for a high class experience.
Since I have arrived in KSA I have been dead set on a couple of things. The first of them being: I want to ride a camel. The second being: I want to wear a thobe, ghutra, and agal. Today, my friend Muhammad made both of these wishes come true. He picked Aj and me up at around 10 this morning and took us out to a camel farm. Unfortunately, since this is exam week, the camel farm was closed because they would not make any money. Muhammad called a few friends and found a place for us to go sit, drink tea, and eat some lunch, while he tried to call around and find some camels.
AJ and I both told Muhammad that it was ok if he did not find camels, but one thing I have learned between Kamal, Muhammad, and every other Saudi I have met is this: If a Saudi ever says he will do something for you (find a camel, take you to buy a cell phone, etc.) they will absolutely do this, no matter how inconvenient for them. It is really amazing, considering I have only known Muhammad for a week or so, and Kamal for 2 weeks, and they both have bent over backwards for me. For this reason, I have a feeling that I will leave KSA with some of the best friends I have ever had in my life. It has been truly amazing so far.
OK, so back to the story...Muhammad, AJ and I ate a Kapsa lunch (with our hands) and then went back on the search for the camels. We came across a few Sudanese men (the best camel care takers, according to Muhammad) and they said a few things to Muhammad in Arabic. Muhammad called someone on his phone, and then looked at us with a big smile and said he had a huge surprise for us.
We drove a few km down the road and pulled up to a small farm area with an arena, a few horses, some ponies, and....A CAMEL!!!
Now comes the surprise! Muhammad goes into the back seat and pulls out a thobe, ghutra, and agal! He helps me put it on, I saddled up on the camel, and away I went! I went around the arena once and then dismounted. My first camel ride was complete. Travis of Arabia, my Saudi alter ego is quickly developing!
Alright, this post has been long enough, bit I hope you find it to be well worth the time you spend reading it! Check out the pics...I have many more on my flickr account!
Enjoy! I hope everyone is well!
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment