Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's official!

I signed my contract, got my Helath Council permit, and my iqama will be in my hand on Monday! Also, more importantly, I will have a bank account open on Tuesday, and Travis is getting paid!

Things are great here, and they are only getting better. In large part due to all of the issues we resolved during the processing of my paperwork, I am confident that the process for the rest of the Americans arriving in Riyadh will be so much easier and efficient. My hats off to the hard work from the staff at both the SRCA office and the Health Council. It was complex, but together we accomplished something really good, and in the end we are going to be able to help so many Saudis with the paramedics who will now be getting approved!

I went to the Diplomatic Quarter today to finish things up with the Health Council and I was able to stop by the US Embassy. I was told by a few people that you will only get in if you have official business. I am not one to be distracted by naysayers, so I went up to the front and told the security guard that I was a new American in Riyadh, and I wanted to register with the Ambassador! Now I did not actually think I was going to meet the ambassador, however, I was allowed entry and I went to the consular section and registered with them, and AJ also got some new pages for his passport.

During all of this, I was also on the lookout to meet some people. I have heard that to any of the functions at the compounds you need to be invited by an embassy employee, so that was also a side mission I was looking to accomplish. I met a Saudi who was coming to pick up some tickets for a party on Thursday, and it turns out she was working with a prominent Neurosurgeon from Dallas who I am acquainted with through UT Southwestern Medical School. I now have tickets to the party Thursday! Also, I was able to make some headway in getting involved with USERA (United States Embassy Recreational Association.) This is the group that plans all of the functions and parties. If you want to play at the US Embassy, these are the people who hold the keys. Hopefully I will meet some USERA folks Thursday, and then I am in!

I am going tomorrow to hopefully get fitted for uniforms and then I will be riding third rider for 3 weeks and orienting for 12 shifts. I am also hoping to get some business cards made to pass around to people I meet. Everyone here wants your number, and it is sad to say, "Can I call you, my phone number is too many numbers to remember, and I don't have a card..."

I am slowly working my way up the Riyadh social ladder! I am also having an amazing time hanging out with the locals and absorbing the culture. Muhammad is taking me to Old Riyadh on Tuesday, and we will probably do something with Saad and Falah on Wednesday.

Also, if you are lurking on the blog and have not become a follower, it would be great if you did! I am posting a lot of positive things in this blog about Saudi culture and the Red Crescent, and the more followers I get, the more prominently featured my blog is on blogger. So please, take a moment, sign up and become a follower. It is free, and it helps me spread the word about the amazing work we are doing here!

Like I said earlier, things are going great, and they are only getting better!

Cheers!

1 comment: